- Not having clear goals: If you want to work for an advertising agency, then you must state that clearly as your goal. You must have clearly defined goals, precisely matching your skills and job responsibilities. It increases, not only your chances of being selected, but also helps you staying focused on your goals.
- Spelling and grammar blunders: With the amount of spell checking software’s available in the market and online, you just cannot make a spelling blunder. Not possible. At least, don’t do that on your CV. You have worked four to five years for your CV. Make them count.
- Points of Sale: Treat your CV as your point of sale. If you are not going to play your selling points to your potential, then you’ll end up being overlooked by the recruiter. List your key selling points in clear and concise manner, in relation to the job you are applying for.
- Complicated layouts: When employers are recruiting fresh graduate, they often have numerous CV’s to browse through. If the layout is not clean, simple and easy to read, the recruiters won’t waste time trying to go through a complicated CV layout.
- Professional Profile: Nowadays, including a LinkedIn profile link in your CV is seen as a blessing in disguise. Recruiters find it easy to browse through your profiles, rather than your hard copy CV’s. Keep your LinkedIn updated as well, it only adds to your chances of getting the job.
- Formatting errors: If your CV is written in an inconsistent format with errors related to spelling and grammar, it shows that you are not paying attention to details and are not interested. Properly format your CV with same fonts and font sizes. Use Times New Roman or Arial Black, with a size 12 for headings and 10 for material inside, and it should be consistent all around, with proper paragraphing and indentation.
- CV being short or too long: As a fresh graduate, you have a margin of only 2 pages when you are applying for a job. For an internship, it goes down to one page. Anything longer than this will include irrelevant information and would remain a dust in the pile. Make sure that your CV contains only relevant information for the role you are applying for.
- Include relevant coursework: You are a fresh graduate, without any proper experience (internships do not count as experience). So, in order to sell your skills, you need to include the relevant course work you have done during your academic career. It can be an extra-curricular or project reports, if it’s related to the job you are applying for, include it in the CV.
- The dreaded References: You are fresh graduate, applying for a job. There’s no way you can furnish references upon request. Unless and otherwise, stated clearly in the application, that you are required to provide references, only then you may provide references with details. Otherwise, it does not sound professional to write “References would be provided upon request.”
- An out of order Resume: If you are fresh graduate, you cannot list your experience before your education. Order is important. You must list your projects, reports, achievements and skills in an order best suited for the being applied for. It increases the chances of the content being actually looked upon, rather than being flipped over.
Agricultural Sciences programs / courses are offered at Bachelor Level in Pakistan.
- Agricultural & Resource Economics
- Agricultural Business
- Agricultural Economics & Statistics
- Agricultural Education & Extension
- Agricultural Entomology
- Agricultural Extension
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agriculture & Agribusiness Management
- Animal Sciences
- Crop Protection
- Dairy Technology
- Farm Management
- Food Engineering
- Food Science
- Food Science & Technology
- Food Technology
- Horticulture & Crop Physiology
- Human Nutrition
- Livestock Management
- Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Plant Pathology & Plant Protection
- Plant Sciences
- Poultry Sciences
- Soil Science
Biological & Life Sciences programs / courses are offered at Bachelor Level in Pakistan.
- Applied Bio sciences
- Applied Microbiology
- Biochemistry & Biotechnology
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Biological Sciences
- Biotechnology & Genetic
- Diet & Nutritional Sciences
- Fisheries & Aquaculture
- Freshwater Biology & Fisheries
- Marine Sciences
- Microbiology & Biotechnology
- Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
- Molecular Genetics & Virology
- Physical & Biological Sciences
- Virology & Immunology
- Wildlife Management
Medical Sciences programs / courses are offered at Bachelor Level in Pakistan.
- Anaesthesia Technician
- Anesthesia Technology
- Audiology & Speech Pathology
- Cardiac Perfusion
- Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Clinical Micro Biology
- Critical Care Sciences
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Technology
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Dialysis Technology
- Eastern Medicine & Surgery
- Emergency & Intensive Care Sciences
- Emergency Medical Technician/Dispenser
- Emergency Medicine
- Epidemiology & Public Health
- Food & Nutrition
- Food Science & Nutrition
- Food Sciences & Human Nutrition
- Forensic Studies
- General Nursing
- Health Technology
- Homoeopathic Medical Science
- Human Diet & Nutrition
- Human Nutrition & Dietetics Mission
- Imaging Technician
- Intensive Care Medicine
- Investigative Ophthalmology
- Medical Entomology & Disease Vector Control
- Medical Image Technology
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Medical Physics
- Medical Radio Diagnosis
- Medical Technology
- Medical Ultrasound
- Medicine – MBBS
- Molecular Medicine
- Molecular Pathology
- Neuro Physiology Technology
- Neuro Sciences
- Nuclear Medicine
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Nutritional Sciences
- Occupational Therapy
- Operation Theater Technology
- Operation Theatre Sciences
- Operation Theatre Technician
- Ophthalmic Technician
- Optometry & Orthoptics
- Pharmaceutical Marketing
- Physical Therapy
- Prosthetics & Orthotics
- Public Health
- Radiation Oncology
- Radiographic & Imaging Technology
- Radiologic Technology
- Rehabilitation Sciences
- Renal Dialysis Technology
- Respiratory Therapy
- Skin Care
- Speech & Language Pathology
- Speech Language & Hearing Sciences
- Speech Language Therapy
- Sport Sciences
- Surgery Technology
- Ultrasound Technology
- Veterinary Medicine
- Vision Sciences
As in 2018, more than 60,000 FSc Pre-Medical students appeared in UHS entry test for admissions to Medical and Dental colleges of Punjab, many are in great pressure as they cannot score good marks in entry test. But do not worry, the options are not few.
What are the Top Fields for FSc Pre-medical students after Inter:
There are four major fields and direct options for FSc Pre-medical students and more than 150 programs or degrees are offered in these four fields in Pakistan. Pre-medical student should know about the scope and career of these fields, as many are rewarding and offer excellent career options.
The four direct field for FSc Pre-medical Students after Inter are
- Medical & Allied Health Sciences
- Biology and Life Sciences
- Agriculture Sciences
- Chemistry and Material Sciences
What are the Top Degree options for Pre-medical Students?
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D
- BS in Diet and Nutrition
- BS Medical Laboratory Technology
- BS Vision Sciences
- BS Intensive Care
- Doctor of Physiotherapy (DPT)
- BS Bio-Informatics
- BS Bio-Medical Engineering
- BS Biotechnology
- BS Microbiology
- BS Genetics
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Emergency & Intensive Care Sciences
- Nuclear Medicine
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech & Language Pathology
- BSc Hons Agriculture
And 100 more options. Details of these options for Pre-medical Students are given below field wise.
Here are few of the direct options for Pre-medical students:
Medical and Allied Health Sciences:For those who could not score more than 85%, don’t worry, there are a number of options in medical sciences other than MBBS, BDS and Pharmacy. You wont believe but its true that 84 programs are offered in Medical Sceinces for Pre-medical Students and most of these are offered at top Medical Colleges of the country.
Check out the list of these programs and medical colleges and universities offering these programs at https://www.gksforum.com/2018/10/16/medical-sciences-programs/
Biology and Life Sciences Second best option for you is Biological sciences. Biological Sciences offer best career options even better than medical sciences if you are research oriented. Biotechnology, Bio-informatics and Genetics are re-shaping our future. For detailed list of programs offered in Biological sciences please visit https://www.gksforum.com/2018/10/16/biological-life-sciences-programs/
Agriculture is also a direct and very good option for Pre-medical students. Specializations in BSc Hons Agriculture degree program such as Food Technology, Biotechnology, Plant Pathology etc… leads to excellent career options in Pesticides and research industry. List of programs offered in Agriculture sciences may be found here https://www.gksforum.com/2018/10/16/agricultural-sciences-education-in-pakistan/
Without further ado, Let’s explore the field of software engineering as a career option.
What is Software Engineering?
It is a branch of computer science that deals in the development and building of applications, software and computer systems. Software Engineers apply the technical principles of computer science, engineering and mathematics to design, develop and test the software systems for enabling computers to perform various complex tasks effectively. They are involved in the design and development of softwares, and some of the specialized field of their work are:
- Software Design
- Software Development
- Software Testing
- Software Maintenance
- Software Engineering Management
- Software Configuration Management
- Software Development Process
- Software Quality Check
Career paths in software engineering
Software Engineering is a diverse field that deals in various aspects of development computerized applications. However, there are four primary areas of specialization in the field of software engineering:
It includes the study of problem-solving and non-web based software development through programming languages such as Java and others.
It includes the work of designing and coding to support application development, and includes languages such as C++ and C.
Embedded System Development
This role involves designing computing systems and software to work on non-computing devices, such as automobiles. It uses programming languages such as C and assembly languages.
Key Courses in Software Engineering
You can start your career in Software Engineering right after passing class 12th board exam in science stream. The different types of courses available in Software Engineering are:
- Diploma in Software Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advanced Software and Network Technology
Diploma courses in Software Engineering are generally of 1 year duration, and the eligibility to join diploma course is class 12th pass in pure science stream.
Bachelor Degree Courses
- B.E. (Software Engineering)
- B.Sc. (Software Engineering)
- B.Tech. (Computer Science & Software Engineering)
- B.Tech. (Software Engineering)
Bachelor Degree courses in Software Engineering are of 4 years duration, and the eligibility to this course is class 12th pass in pure science stream.
In addition, top software engineering colleges offer admission through All Pakistan Entrance Tests such as JEE and AIEEE.
Master Degree Courses
- M.E. (Knowledge Engineering)
- M.E. (Software Engineering)
- M.Sc. (Computer Technology)
- M.Sc. (Software Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Control Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Control Systems)
- M.Tech. (Software Engineering)
Master Degree courses in Software Engineering are of 4 years duration, and the eligibility to this course is a Bachelor Degree in Software Engineering.
In addition, top software engineering colleges offer admission through Entrance Tests such as ECAT.
- Ph.D. (Software Engineering)
You can also pursue Ph.D. in Software Engineering after completing Masters in Software Engineering, and move into the academic or research field.
Skills & Responsibilities in Software Engineering
Typical day-to-day activities and skill sets for software engineers includes:
- Analyzing end-users need and develop cost-effective software solution within time
- Fluency in programming languages such as C++, Python, Java and PHP to meet clients requirements with perfection
- Programming, testing, monitoring and documenting changes to computer systems and applications
- Examination of departmental goals and develop custom computer systems accordingly
- Upgrading existing computer programs to update platforms with new specifications
- Recommending changes and improvement areas to existing software systems and computer applications
- Coordinating with system installation and monitor equipment functioning to make sure project requirement are met.
- Responsible for system security and data assurance across the systems
Career Prospects in Software Engineering
With the rise of internet and other communication systems, a career in software engineering can be rewarding across every industry. Today, top software companies such as IBM, Wipro Ltd, Infosys and Dell are looking to hire fresh software engineers who are good at computer based application development.
The job of an entry-level software engineer is likely to test and monitor on-going designs. However, with some years of experience, they may be absorbed in the role of designing and developing application based software. As you gain experience and expertise in this profession, you get more opportunities. For example, with rich experience in software engineering, you can work as system engineers or freelance consultants or even you start your own software consulting firm. In the field of software engineering, you can work as:
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Technical Officer
- Director Quality Engineering
- Independent Consultants
- Information Systems Manager
- Project Manager
- Software Designers
- Software Development Engineer
- Software Programmers
- Systems Designers
Talking about the salary package, as a fresher you can expect to earn in the range of Rs.25, 000 to Rs. 30,000. However, with years of experience in software engineering, sky is the limit.
If you are really looking forward to make a career in software engineering, then the information provided in this video will surely help you to make the right decision. To watch more career videos, logon to gksforum.com.